Re: Rollback

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 7 Dec 2001 05:34:29 -0800

peter.mckenzie_at_health.wa.gov.au wrote in message news:<9upcq6$u78$1_at_news.netmar.com>...
> If I start updating data within an sql session I am allocated a rollback
> segment. If I don't commit and reach the max extents for the segment will I
> get an error message or will I then be given access to another rollback
> segment?
>
> How does Oracle decide which rollback segment to assign ?
>
> Thanks
>
> --- Posted via NewsOne.Net: Free (anonymous) Usenet News via the Web ---

Oracle will choose a segment based on the internal logic, which may vary by version. The last I remember reading Oracle looks for an unused segment.

When the segment your session is assigned to fills Oracle will attempt to wrap around back to the beginning. If the beginning is in use Oracle will attempt to extend the segment. If successful it will keep extending until the segment reaches max extents at which time an error is returned.