Re: Sorting by ASCII order

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 7 Dec 2001 05:40:22 -0800

"Jack Dawson" <srik_at_cnet.com> wrote in message news:<9uojel$rk6$1_at_innbox.cnet.com>...
> I was browsing some Oracle websites and there was a question to sort a
> resultset in ASCII order.
>
> I did not quite understand what this means,,,
>
> Can anyone throw some light on this???
>
> Thanks
> Jack

For most installations of Oracle ASCII order represents normal sort order. In the case of mainframe Oracle the mainframe uses EBCDIC coding. In ASCII a character '9' comes before 'A' while in EBCDIC a '9' comes after 'Z' so the sort order is different. Oracle supports numerous different character sets to support foreign languages like Spanish and German. The exact meaning of what the author meant depends on the circumstances described in his note, but hopefully this helps.