Re: using (NT & W2K) networkdrives with oracle as log_archive_dest

From: Adrian Carlson-Hedges <adrian.ch_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:57:22 -0000

I think this ability was removed in either 8 or 8i. You can of course archive to a standyby database that is on another machine.

However you cant do something like

ARCHIVE_LOG_DEST2=\\machine\share\path\
or even
ARCHIVE_LOG_DEST3=P:\
(where P: is a mapped network drive.)

When I asked Oracle support about why this was, they said it was to remove a single point of failure (the network).

Adrian