Re: Help with Oracle Career Path

From: torro <iggyr3_at_swbellnospam.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:58:32 GMT

I became interested in Oracle about 7 months ago. I knew nothing of the topic and that was the challenge. I enrolled in the DBA Oracle U course and will be completing my final exam shortly. Here is what I have to suggest:

First off, it isn't that complicated but there is so much to learn.

The PL/SQL course was excellent. Especially if you have little to no experience in code.(like me) I would pay for that class again.

The DBA course was equally as informative especially to help get me started. But I could have done it with a book and more time.

For the other topics, Backup/Recovery, Perf Tuning, Networking the OU books I received were sufficient. If I could have obtained them without paying for the classes it would have saved me some change.

The STS practice exams were very helpful. It had to have saved me from at least 5 wrong answers per exam.

When I first stared I felt if I studied and tested myself with the certification exams I would know quite a bit about Oracle's systems. In the end I believe the opposite has occured, although I have a good understanding and foundation, my studies have shed light on how little I actually know. But you gotta start somewhere man.

If I had to do it again I would have tried to obtain the OU books on my own and joined a user group.