Re: Large pagesize and datafile sticky bit

From: <ultrasparc3_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 06:18:20 GMT

In <b3cb12d6.0111221601.4f60a856_at_posting.google.com> yong321_at_yahoo.com (Yong Huang) writes:
>Jim Mauro's Solaris Internals, p.203, says that memory with large
>pagesize 4M instead of the regular 8k size boosts Oracle performance
>by 12% (assuming sun4u CPU class I think). Anyone has a system with a
>page size larger than 8k on Ultrasparc?

all UltraSPARCs support page sizes larger than 8k but OS support is limited. "Intimate Shared Memory", ISM, used by databases can use 4MB pages if they are available. The database documentation should include information on how to configure ISM. even when you use ISM the output of pagesize will remain 8k.

>You can check by the command pagesize.

that always returns 8k, it's the system's base pagesize. the current Solaris releases support multiple page sizes for limited uses (device mappings, kernel nucleus, ISM) and Solaris 9 expands that support a bit, see the release documentation. Received on Fri Nov 23 2001 - 00:18:20 CST