Re: Full Export/Import

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 19:10:59 +1100

You can NOT edit a dump file. It's a binary file, so don't even think about it. You'll corrupt the file and make it totally unuseable. The create tablespace commands it contains would normally be applicable if you were reconstructing a database on an identically-configured machine (same O/S, same disk layouts and so forth).

In your case, you'll simply need to manually create all required tablespaces on the NT box before you attempt the import. When you then try to import tables, they will be created in the appropriate tablespace that *you* created with the identical name (and make sure the *tablespace* names really are identical, otherwise everything will end up in the SYSTEM tablespace (or your default tablespace -but neither is exactly what you want!).

If you are performing a full import, users and all appropriate privileges should be created automatically for you: the dump file has 'create user' statements in it, as I'm sure you've noticed. And it also have a raft of 'grant xxx to yyy' statements. That's assuming, though, that the export was done with grants included (a full export has them included by default).

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com

"S-marty" <monkey_at_ludo.aa> wrote in message

> Howard J. Rogers wrote in message
> <3bf8cf4b$0$13483$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> >I'm confused. What's wrong with exp system/manager file=blah.dmp full=y?
> >
> >Use the lower version of export to produce a 7.3-compatible dump file.
Use