Re: resore a database at a specific daytime

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:09:54 +1100

There's absolutely no reason to use 'backup controlfile' unless you are actually restoring a binary version of the control file.

A 'recover until time', as for any incomplete recovery, requires that you restore all data files, and do NOT resotre any of the online logs (which shouldn't be being backed up anyway), nor the controlfile.

If data files are restored, but not controlfiles, then there is an inconsistency which *must* require recovery. Only if you are restoring *everything* will you not be prompted for recovery. It is impossible, if you are doing everything correctly, NOT to be asked for logs to be applied.

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com