Startup problems with 8.1.7 under RedHat 6.2

From: Frank Erdmann <Frank.Erdman_at_uni-muenster.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:12:46 +0100

Hello NG!

We installed Oracle 8i on Linux RedHat 6.2. Everything works fine except the startup at boot time.
This is how we tried to solve the startup:

01) Set the right env variables for the oracle user (SID etc.) 02) Alter the /etc/oratab, set the option N to Y (dbstart can now startup the dbms)

03) Wrote a script and copied it to /etc/rc.d/init.d
04) Registered the script via /sbin/chkconfig --add <script's name>
05) added a listener startup script with the same method

Script contains following lines to start the DBMS: echo "Oracle 8i auto start/stop"

ORA_OWNER=oracle
ORA_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7

case "$1" in

   'start')

echo -n "Starting Oracle8i: "
su - $ORA_OWNER -c $ORA_HOME/bin/dbstart >>/var/log/oracle touch /var/lock/subsys/oracle8i
echo
;;

When starting the server, the listener starts and it looks like the Oracle starts, too (message log). But when we try to connect to the DBMS via SQLPLUS the DBMS doesn't seem started up and an error occurs which says that the program cannot find the memory realm of the DB (ORA-27101) and Oracle is not available (ORA-01034). SID is set right. Starting the DB with SQLPLUS and user "/ as sysdba", then typing "startup" works - the net8assistant is able to test the connection.
Why doesn't it start automatically?

Thanks a lot in advance,

    Frank Received on Thu Nov 15 2001 - 06:12:46 CST