Re: ORA-4031 shared pool fragmentation

From: Sean Fitzgerald <sfitzgerald_at_centurytel.net>
Date: 14 Nov 2001 14:09:04 -0800

You are right that flushing the shared pool doesn't help. By the time you get the 4031 error, Oracle itself has already tried to get rid of unecessary sql in the shared pool and the shared pool reserved area.

Since you are on 8.1.6.0, I would seriously investigate several bugs. We were on 8.1.6.0 (HP-UX 11.0 64bit) one year ago and had to apply several one-off patches and then finally 8.1.6.2 patchset to resolve sql sharing issues. Even then there were still some statements which had to be re-written to get them to be shared properly. Received on Wed Nov 14 2001 - 16:09:04 CST