Re: Oracle slipping, anyone else feel the same way. SAP to take over?

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 18:04:55 GMT

On 11 Nov 2001, mark wrote:

> Well, as far as 11i goes its a revolutionary product designed and
> developed for the internet. I think it has become very stable and
> good now. You only need some Java components and a internet browser to
> run oracle applications. I do not know SAP, but SAP may not be as
> teachnologically good as Oracle.
> The early versions of 11i had some tiny problems. But now Oracle has
> released patchsets and 11i is a truly **great** product. I have not
> used 11i much, but i had seen and fiddled a bit with it. Its cool and
> its got a great interface

??GREAT PRODUCT?? From what I understand, there were over 1500 required patches for the early releases of 11.

I don't do OApps myself, but my developers upstairs have said repeatedly in meetings that they can't believe that any software company could have released such a low-quality product.

From what I understand, however, OApps has gotten its act together with the later 11i releases.

It's amazing that the 9i database hit the ground in such good shape - it must have used a totally different QA process.

   / Charles J. Fisher                   |"Dig within. There lies the spring /
  /  cfisher_at_rhadmin.org                 | of good: ever dig, and it will   /
 /   http://rhadmin.org:81               | ever flow."  -Marcus Aurelius   /