Re: Oracle is consistent

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 12 Nov 2001 02:36:22 -0800

oraclems_at_hotmail.com (Murali) wrote in message news:<22e6597b.0111111034.61ae340e_at_posting.google.com>...
> Ha ha ha...
> I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but this is too much. He tried to
> install Oracle for ** 8 WEEKS **. If nothing else, he should get an
> "A" for perseverance. Oracle is not MS-Access. But still, I have found
> that anyone with a little common sense can install Oracle with default
> values in a lot less time than 8 weeks.

I do not think that Oracle server Installer is so funny to be entertained for eight weeks with it, after day or two he should find a better game to play. :-))
Usually I can install Oracle 8i on NT Server in one hour with no problem at all. My personal record is three hours due to messed installation by someone else.
Is much more difficult to tune Oracle server for good perfomance, especially on this platform, but installation is almost dumb-proof.

> have done better to read what the error says. The fact that both 8i
> and 9i had the same problem on your machine indicates something other
> than Oracle is the culprit. Like Sybrand says, at least log in as
> administrator and make sure you have a network card on your machine.

You can install Oracle server in NT environment even if your computer has no NIC. My home test server was running Oracle Server for years with no problem and I have NIC in this server only for month or two (just for cable-TV Internet).

> You have to be a qualified pilot to fly the Oracle jumbo jet. It's
> better you stick to the single seater MS-Access.

You should be a qualified pilot to fly the Oracle jumbo jet, but for just takeoff you need only ability to read and some effort.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.