Re: Oracle Apps

From: Harri Kaukovuo <harri.kaukovuo4_at_nic.fi>
Date: 9 Nov 2001 06:14:02 GMT

Was the question just for testing or also for production?

If also for production...
It all depends how your company is planning to expand (or not). If you are looking for having 100 employees in couple of years, it might be better to get the right class of server right in the beginning.

Just the number of employees is not specific enough to plan your hardware. The number of transactions in HR/Financials modules, interfaces to other systems etc. also affect the system load.

Also the number of test/training/development environments affect the sizing. Do not leave these out from your plans. In the end you might notice that you are running 4 databases in one machine with each database requiring 200MB -> SGA area from RAM. In the end the memory requirement might be somewhere around 2GB and not sure what is the max memory installable into Sun workstations.

You can always expand the middle tier (Forms/HTTP/Concurrent) servers into Linux, Windows NT or smaller Sun workstations. You just need to load balance them.

My suggestion would be to have at minimum two servers (as you had already planned), one for production, one for testing/development. The proper sizing cannot be done without more detailed sizing exercise. Maybe Oracle consulting/sales can help you out w/ sizing.

harrington_at_middlebury.edu (Mark Harrington) wrote in news:758e40cd.0111081358.16ca95f7_at_posting.google.com:

> My company is planning on testing Oracle Human Resources and Oracle
> Financials. We will have no more than 30 users on at anytime
> including developers.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations of the real life hardware
> requirements? We plan to buy Sun machines (Sparc Solaris).
>
> Would one machine be enough? Do we really need a "server."
>
> Right now we are looking at purchasing 2 Sun Ultra 10 WorkStations.
> https://www.sun.com/desktop/products/ultra10/specs.html
> 1x440 MHz UltraSPARC-Iii
> 512 MB RAM
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
> mark

Anti-spam: To reply by e-mail please ERASE the "4" after kaukovuo4