Re: Oracle Parallel Server Installation on SunOS 5.8 running Sun Cluster 3.0

From: Dirk Kiehne <dirk_at_liberate.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 23:07:16 GMT

Suchit Reikhy wrote:

> Dirk Kiehne <dirk_at_liberate.com> wrote in message news:<3BE710EF.ACEDDCF8_at_liberate.com>...
> > Suchit Reikhy wrote:
> > >
> > > Can Oracle 8.1.7 be installed along with Oracle Parallel Server
> > > support, on a two node cluster running Sun Cluster Server 3.0
> > > installed on SunOS 5.8 without configuring RAW DEVICES?
> > >
> > > I have tried to install Oracle 8.1.7. The installer is
> > > intelligent enough to recognize the cluster installation and
> > > correctly prompts with the node names of the machines in the
> > > cluster. Oracle install and link is successful but the
> > > instatller hangs thereafter.
> > >
> > > I manually execute dbassist to create a database but get the
> > > following error on selecting either one or both the nodes in the
> > > cluster:-
> > > "The following nodes cannot be accessed due to lack of
> > > permission.."
> > >
> > > One reason which I think might be causing this is that I do not
> > > have any raw devices on this cluster installation. My
> > > understanding was that raw devices were required to provide a
> > > shared disk space to the nodes in the cluster. Since, Sun
> > > Cluster 3.0 has the concept of a Global Shared File System I
> > > think that use of raw devices should not be mandatory.
> > > Since the database is not being created, apparently my
> > > assumption is wrong and I might be REQUIRED to create raw
> > > devices.
> > >
> > > Before I actually went ahead and made provisions for raw devices
> > > I wanted to find a definitive answer to this if I could.
> > >
> > > Any insight is greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > You can certainly use the combo Oracle 8.1.7/OPS/Sun Cluster 2.2
> > in a two node cluster where you are running Solaris 8 (SunOS 5.8).
> >
> > I'm still waiting to go to Sun Cluster 3.0, so I haven't personally
> > done that yet. There are charts on metalink which list all the
> > combinations.
> >
> > Regarding the "raw devices" requirement: These are created with
> > either Veritas VxVM (or as Sun Disk Suite volumes, I believe). I
> > used VxVM raw volumes. The key is to create "shared" volumes that
> > both nodes can see when you run the equivalent of df. In the
> > case of VxVM it is:
> >
> > ops1# vxdg list
> > NAME STATE ID
> > rootdg enabled 978053257.1025.ops1
> > oracledg enabled,shared 975616172.1300.ops1
> >
> > ops1# vxdisk -g oracledg list
> >
> > DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS
> > c1t1d0s2 sliced oracled01 oracledg online shared
> > c1t8d0s2 sliced oracled02 oracledg online shared
> >
> > To even get the Cluster running you'll need to install the
> > DLM (Dist. Lock Manager). You also have to set permissions exactly
> > the same on both machines. Check the sun docs, they are for the
> > most part very good.
> >
> > The requirement for raw "shared" volumes is the same for 3.0.
> >
> > -Dirk
>
> Thanks for your reply Dirk!
> What permissions are we exactly talking about?
> To give you further insight into my installation. I tried to run
> [...]

Hi Suchit,

The permissions for root and oracle on each node so that they can do rsh commands on the other node. Each account needs to be set up the same way on both nodes and there needs to be an .rhosts on the other node so that oracle on ops1 can do 'rsh ops2 ls' without running into permission problems.

The oracle installer depends on the above to do the OPS installation since it is run on one node and copied to the other. Additionally, when you have the Cluster running and all the permissions set correctly then the Oracle installer will sense the other node and ask you OPS related questions - such as: install on ops1 and ops2.

Regarding the docs: yes the SC 3.0 docs. They should help you in detail to get the disk partitioning, networking and user accounts. Then you go to the special OPS section (Unfortunately, the 2.2 docs left out the DLM stuff and referred to the Oracle docs, which as far as I could locate didn't either). Eventually a friendly Sun FE pointed out that I would need to install DLM (from the Oracle CD) to even get the Cluster running. Once it was running I discovered that I didn't have the VxVM Cluster option license after spending many days/nights reading the Veritas/Oracle docs. After you get the "cluster option", the shared raw volumes can be created. You then need to "start" them from the GUI and then oracle can be installed.

From the other response you got, it sounds like the Global File Service isn't one that you can use. I'm fairly certain that leaves you with SDS from Sun or VxVM from Veritas.

-Dirk Received on Wed Nov 07 2001 - 17:07:16 CST