Re: Oracle Parallel Server Installation on SunOS 5.8 running Sun Cluster 3.0

From: Suchit Reikhy <sreikhy_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Nov 2001 07:04:32 -0800

Dirk Kiehne <dirk_at_liberate.com> wrote in message news:<3BE710EF.ACEDDCF8_at_liberate.com>...
> Suchit Reikhy wrote:
> >
> > Can Oracle 8.1.7 be installed along with Oracle Parallel Server
> > support, on a two node cluster running Sun Cluster Server 3.0
> > installed on SunOS 5.8 without configuring RAW DEVICES?
> >
> > I have tried to install Oracle 8.1.7. The installer is
> > intelligent enough to recognize the cluster installation and
> > correctly prompts with the node names of the machines in the
> > cluster. Oracle install and link is successful but the
> > instatller hangs thereafter.
> >
> > I manually execute dbassist to create a database but get the
> > following error on selecting either one or both the nodes in the
> > cluster:-
> > "The following nodes cannot be accessed due to lack of
> > permission.."
> >
> > One reason which I think might be causing this is that I do not
> > have any raw devices on this cluster installation. My
> > understanding was that raw devices were required to provide a
> > shared disk space to the nodes in the cluster. Since, Sun
> > Cluster 3.0 has the concept of a Global Shared File System I
> > think that use of raw devices should not be mandatory.
> > Since the database is not being created, apparently my
> > assumption is wrong and I might be REQUIRED to create raw
> > devices.
> >
> > Before I actually went ahead and made provisions for raw devices
> > I wanted to find a definitive answer to this if I could.
> >
> > Any insight is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> You can certainly use the combo Oracle 8.1.7/OPS/Sun Cluster 2.2
> in a two node cluster where you are running Solaris 8 (SunOS 5.8).
>
> I'm still waiting to go to Sun Cluster 3.0, so I haven't personally
> done that yet. There are charts on metalink which list all the
> combinations.
>
> Regarding the "raw devices" requirement: These are created with
> either Veritas VxVM (or as Sun Disk Suite volumes, I believe). I
> used VxVM raw volumes. The key is to create "shared" volumes that
> both nodes can see when you run the equivalent of df. In the
> case of VxVM it is:
>
> ops1# vxdg list
> NAME STATE ID
> rootdg enabled 978053257.1025.ops1
> oracledg enabled,shared 975616172.1300.ops1
>
> ops1# vxdisk -g oracledg list
>
> DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS
> c1t1d0s2 sliced oracled01 oracledg online shared
> c1t8d0s2 sliced oracled02 oracledg online shared
>
> To even get the Cluster running you'll need to install the
> DLM (Dist. Lock Manager). You also have to set permissions exactly
> the same on both machines. Check the sun docs, they are for the
> most part very good.
>
> The requirement for raw "shared" volumes is the same for 3.0.
>
> -Dirk

Thanks for your reply Dirk!
What permissions are we exactly talking about? To give you further insight into my installation. I tried to run dbassist initially as user 'oracle' and later as a superuser. Now both these accounts have the same username and password on both machines. Moreover I used the user 'oracle' to do the Oracle install too. You referred to Sun Docs, are you talking about Sun Cluster 3.0 Docs?

--Suchit Received on Tue Nov 06 2001 - 09:04:32 CST