Re: Listener starts but can't stop it.... ??????

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 7 Nov 2001 10:07:38 -0800

"Dominic Baines" <dombaines_at_mmbq.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<oCqF7.14075$N16.1832286_at_news11-gui.server.ntli.net>...
> I thought of that almost immediately .... :-)
>
> There is no PASSWORDS * setting in the listner.ora file.
> And there does not appear to be an encrypted one set either.
>
> Anyway... I'm going to 'reset' on today (Monday) and after applying it...
> see if I can't shut it down. I thought I'd done that.
>
> This might be related to the fact that this was a system recovery perhaps
> .... ???
>
> Thanks though.
>
> "Mark D Powell" <mark.powell_at_eds.com> wrote in message
> > "Dominic Baines" <dombaines_at_mmbq.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Have recovered from a system crash and recovered the whole of a live
> > > database, install etc...
> > >
> > > DB seems fine (acts fine anyway) and dbstart and dbshut operate as
> before.
> > >
> > > lsnrctl start starts the listener as you'd expect but....
> > > lsnrctl stop can't stop the listeners... it's complaining about a
> password.
> > >
> > > Anyone shed any light on this behaviour ?
> > >
> > > I can run kill-9 <pid> so the listener stops and I stop the DB first.
> > >
> > > It's RedHat 7.1 (with binutils downgraded, and the i386 lib files copied
> > > etc...) and Oracle 8.1.7..
> > >
> > > Dev box so non-critical but would be interesting to know what is going
> on.
> >
> > Dominic, since at least sqlnet version 1.1 you have always had to set
> > the password (at least if it was set) before issuing the stop command.
> > You should check your listerner.ora file and see what you have
> > PASSWORDS_LISTENER= set to then:
> >
> > lsnrctl
> > set password oracle
> > stop
> >
> > If you are sure you never had to do this before then you should verify
> > that 1- the same listener file is in use and 2- someone did not change
> > it
> >
> > -- Mark D Powell --

If the listener wants a password and you do not have one set in the listener.ora file then the first thing I would want to verify is that the listener file in question is the actual listener file in use. You might try editing the listener file to add a non-existent db then issue the reload command or cycle the listener and see if the new db shows. If not you are picking up a different listener.ora. Depending on platform the default location varies from /etc, /var/opt/oracle, and $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin based on experience. Do you have $TNS_ADMIN set?

Next I would verify that a password statement does not appear in any other Net 8 (sqlnet) related file because for some reason I seem to remember that might be possible, possibly sqlnet.ora.

Anyway, after all this I would seek help from support.