Re: 9i doc testimonials?

From: John Russell <netnews_at_johnrussell.mailshell.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 21:11:18 GMT

On Tue, 06 Nov 2001 15:47:44 +0000, Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>despite
>any inconsistencies, I find it better to use the 9i doc for 8i databases
>(as well as 9i databases obviously)

Thanks, that's an excellent point.

People have suggested more examples, better explanations, bug fixes, etc. since the 8.1.5/6/7 days. In many cases, the first edition that contains those improvements is the corresponding 9i book.

The "New Features" book, and the sections listing the new features in individual books, cover 8i new features as well as 9i. It looks like some people are just now discovering some of the later 8i features by reading the 9i docs.

>I have to concede I don't use the search capacity (via tahiti) that much
>(but I didn't make use of the old java one either).

For people who already know where to find most of what they need, the search feature I'd point out is the dropdown where you can pick "search for examples". This lets you find various keywords and idioms in the context of code examples only. Often, those incidental examples are more natural and informative than the ones that focus exclusively on a single statement, API, etc.

John

--
Got an Oracle database question?
Try the search engine for the database docs at: