Re: [OT] Lack of IEEE values in Oracle

From: Murray Peterson <mwp_at_home.com.invalid>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 04:13:08 GMT

"Roger Schlafly" <roger_95073_at_my-dejanews.com> wrote in news:PwCF7.12351$fk6.3899959411_at_twister1.starband.net:

> "Murray Peterson" <mwp_at_home.com.invalid> wrote

>> IEEE format is an extremely common standard in this world, and I find
>> it problematic (and expensive) that I have to write middleware to deal
>> with them.

> That is an understatement. Is there even one computer in current > production anywhere in the world that does not use IEEE format?

None that I know of any more. DEC used to have their own format for floats, but I think they have since seen the error of their ways. Perhaps some of the large mainframe/supercomputer class still use proprietary formats, but I haven't had the "pleasure" of dealing with that class of computer for a long time.

--
Murray Peterson
Email: murray_peterson_at_shaw.ca (remove underscore)