Re: [OT] Lack of IEEE values in Oracle

From: Roger Schlafly <roger_95073_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 16:42:41 GMT

"Murray Peterson" <mwp_at_home.com.invalid> wrote
> > That is an understatement. Is there even one computer in current
> > production anywhere in the world that does not use IEEE format?
> None that I know of any more. DEC used to have their own format for
> floats, but I think they have since seen the error of their ways. Perhaps
> some of the large mainframe/supercomputer class still use proprietary
> formats, but I haven't had the "pleasure" of dealing with that class of
> computer for a long time.

DEC was at least close to IEEE. The weird ones were the Cray and the IBM 360. I didn't think Cray would ever switch, but all their newer machines offer the IEEE format in hardware. I believe IBM also switched. And pretty much every PC, Mac, Unix workstation, etc has always used IEEE reals exclusively.

I am really surprised that Oracle clings to some goofy format. Received on Tue Nov 06 2001 - 10:42:41 CST