Re: Parallel Query: lots of wait time in event "PX qref latch"

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 15:13:18 -0000

This is conjecture, but I think you are running parallel queries which your system cannot support.

You have 4 CPUs, but you are asking 8 PX slaves in one 'layer' to distribute messages to 8 other PX slaves in the other 'layer'.

Message passing under parallel execution is done through 'table queues' (see v$pq_tqstat for stats on table queues) and I THINK that each table queue is protected by a latch, which is a PX qref latch. (I may be wrong, it is possible that each slave has a latch, rather than each table queue).

The problem you are seeing is that you have some very busy PX slaves, and more slaves at each end of the table queues than there are CPUs, so inevitably you are seeing
collisions when two slaves want to stuff data into the same table queue.

It may be possible to improve the situation by rewriting or hinting the query so that the lower level slaves do more complex
work that allows them to pass fewer message through the table queues - alternatively, simply reduce the parallelism of the table to 4 and see what happens.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:

Screen saver or Life saver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.