Re: ORA-06571: Function USER_DEF_CASE does not guarantee not to update database

From: Sagar Nandela <nandela_v_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 Nov 2001 07:26:22 -0800

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<tu0tiotaoh485b_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> "Sagar Nandela" <nandela_v_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I wrote a function called user_def_case.i want to call this function
> > in select statement.
> >
> > Example: SELECT user_def_case(1500,1,'0_2000') from dual;
> >
> > I am getting the following error.
> >
> > ORA-06571: Function USER_DEF_CASE does not guarantee not to update
> > database
> >
> > Inside function i want to insert errors into error_log table in
> > exception handler if function fails due to data problem.If i remove
> > this insert statement in exception handler section it will work.I saw
> > posted messages related to this error.They suggested use pragram
> > wnds.but it will not solve my problem.If i put this pragma wnds,it
> > will not write errors into error_log table.I want to write errors into
> > error_log table.Please help me,how to solve this problem.i am using
> > oracle 8.0.5.
> >
> > Sagar
>
> Is there any reason why you can't use
> begin
> dbms_output.put_line(user_def_case(1500,1,'0_2000'));
> end;
> /
>
> You don't do anything with the function result, so the code above is
> equivalent and also doesn't result in 6571.
>
> Hth

Hi Sybrand Bakker,

   Thanks for your reply.But my requirement is after getting the results from function,i have to do some calculation based on results in select statement, not pl/sql anonymous block.If my own function fails due to some input data ,
I want to insert error message details (i.e which area is giving problem) into error_log table in exception handler of my own function and Return as NULL.
Is there any work around solution to slove this problem?

Sagar Received on Thu Nov 01 2001 - 09:26:22 CST