Re: Making a backup to a network share (Windows NT)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 13:27:49 +0100

On 1 Nov 2001 01:41:02 -0800, tskaastra_at_yahoo.com (Tjeerd Kaastra) wrote:

>I have a problem making backups using recovery manager to a network
>share and I hope someone can help me. The database that I am using is
>Oracle 8.0.6.0.0 on Windows NT 4 (SP6).
>

>When I try to create a backup using rman on a drive (W:) that I mapped
>to another server, I get the following errors:
>
>RMAN> run {
> allocate channel ch1 type disk;
>
> backup incremental level=0 tag 'lvl0' format
>'w:\LVL0_%d_%u'
> (database filesperset = 10 include current controlfile);
>
> backup (archivelog from time 'SYSDATE-1' all
> format 'w:\ARCH_%d_%u');
>
> release channel ch1;
>}
>
>RMAN-08031: released channel: ch1
>RMAN-03022: compiling command: allocate
>RMAN-03023: executing command: allocate
>RMAN-08030: allocated channel: ch1
>RMAN-08500: channel ch1: sid=11 devtype=DISK
>
>RMAN-03022: compiling command: backup
>RMAN-03023: executing command: backup
>RMAN-08008: channel ch1: starting datafile backupset
>RMAN-08502: set_count=23 set_stamp=444647409
>RMAN-08010: channel ch1: including datafile 3 in backupset
>RMAN-08010: channel ch1: including datafile 2 in backupset
>RMAN-08010: channel ch1: including datafile 5 in backupset
>RMAN-08010: channel ch1: including datafile 4 in backupset
>RMAN-08010: channel ch1: including datafile 1 in backupset
>RMAN-08011: channel ch1: including current controlfile in backupset
>RMAN-00569: ================error message stack
>follows================
>RMAN-03007: retryable error occurred during execution of command:
>backup
>RMAN-07004: unhandled exception during command execution on channel
>ch1
>RMAN-10035: exception raised in RPC: ORA-19624: operation failed,
>retry possible
>ORA-19504: failed to create file "w:\LVL0_SENS_0nd81hvh"
>ORA-27040: skgfrcre: create error, unable to create file
>OSD-04002: unable to open file
>O/S-Error: (OS 5) Access is denied.
>ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE", line 408
>RMAN-10031: ORA-19624 occurred during call to
>DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.BACKUPPIECECREATE
>
>I understand from previous postings that this error probably occurs
>because the Oracle server is running as the NT System account and it
>has no permissions on the network share.
>
>Is it so bad to create a backup to a network share? I cannot see why
>(yet).
>
>Anyway, I tried to run the Oracle services as an Administrator, and as
>another user that has Administrator rights, but then I cannot contact
>the database anymore. I get the following error from sqlplus:
>ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process.
>The only way to connect is setting the SID in the environment and
>using SQLplus commandline.
>
>Also, giving the System account full permissions on the share does not
>work.

> [...]

Oracle doesn't support network drives for datafiles, I have the strange feeling that this applies to backup too. They never supported using a tapedrive directly on NT, so this might be a similar story. To confirm that I would need to do a check in the NT specific documentation, but I think you can and should do that too. Just FYI: 8.0.6 has been desupped last month.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Nov 01 2001 - 06:27:49 CST