Re: SAP on Oracle Database

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 13:32:00 +0100

On 1 Nov 2001 01:54:10 -0800, arunjacob_at_hotmail.com (Arun J Muthalaly) wrote:

>I am an oracle DBA with no prior SAP experience. Is it true that the
>SAP Oracle tables should not be accessed without using the SAP GUI
>Utilities. Also should database administration be done by SAP tools
>instead of OEM or manually by scripts. Please advise.

The choice to start using SAP was one of the reasons why I left my previous job. I didn't think it was very useful to throw away 8 years of Oracle experience (we're talkin 1997 here). I have been involved a little with the install, and I can confirm in SAP Oracle is completely unimportant and it is kept away from you as much as possible. SAP is responsible for generating the correct Oracle DDL commands and that's about it. So yes, I think your assumptions are correct. Be prepared for a shock: you will stop being an Oracle DBA.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Nov 01 2001 - 06:32:00 CST