Re: Database link question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 07:56:15 +0100

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 20:29:51 -0500, "Huy Vu" <huyv_at_usa.net> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I want to grant USER_SELECT and USER_UPDATE roles of userB in database B to
>userA of database A to allow userA select/update on userB's tables.
>
>I successful to create the database link between two oracle databases with
>the steps below:
>
>On database A:
>
>create public database link B using 'B'
>
>Then on database B:
>
>create user userA (I don't understand this step.
>If I don't create userA under database B, the grants below will not work)
>
>Then
>
>grant userB_USER_SELECT to userA;
>grant userB_USER_UPDATE to userA;
>
>Why I cannot grant USER_SELECT/UPDATE userB's roles directly to userA of
>database A
>without create userA under database B?
>
>Thanks in advance for any advise.
>
>DH

Simply because such remote grants do not exist. Probably they are also never going to exist. I would consider such policy a security risk. Please note : we're talking two different databases here, where the remote database can reside just anywhere in the world. Allowing this would imply that I allow someone else from a remote database to administer my database. I wouldn't even consider it, and if it would exist, I would set explicit rules and guidelines NOT to use it.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Nov 01 2001 - 00:56:15 CST