Re: I trusted exp/imp - I'm a fool

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 07:51:29 +0100

On 31 Oct 2001 14:59:59 -0800, broom_at_voicenet.com (broom) wrote:

>Trust but verify.
>Trust but verify.
>Trust but verify.
>
>When will I learn?
>
>I didn't verify.
>
>I have (or had) a table that I trashed.
>
>This is a batch mode operation, so I was
>using table specific export scripts to do my
>backups.
>
>When I attempted to list the create statement
>via imp, I get:
>
>. . skipping partition "SUPPRESSION":"SYS_P489"
>IMP-00051: Direct path exported dump file contains illegal column length
>IMP-00008: unrecognized statement in the export file:
>
>IMP-00008: unrecognized statement in the export file:
>
>IMP-00008: unrecognized statement in the export file:
>

>The IMP-00008 continues MANY times ( I assume once for
>each row).
>
>According to oerr, I have a corrupt exp.dat file.
>
>Nope.
>
>This error happens with different exp.dat files of the same
>table. But other exps done at the same time (AND IN THE SAME
>FILE) are just fine.
>
>The only difference I can determine between this table and
>others is that this table is partitioned via a hash, ie:
>
>PARTITION BY HASH (BLD_ID_LST_ID, BLD_ID_REC_SEQ)
>PARTITIONS 8 STORE IN (ALPHA);
>
>while all the other tables have "regular" partitions based
>on the values of a particular field.
>
>I'm waiting on Oracle support right now.
>
>Any ideas?

In previous versions problems like this were almost exclusively being caused by not specifiying a sufficient buffer using the buffer=<any high number, 8M or so)
doing so the commandline gets truncated, and you are toast.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Nov 01 2001 - 00:51:29 CST