Re: Sybrand Bakker

From: Roel Toledo <dontsendmailstome_at_bogusmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:42:38 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message news:3bde4967$0$21541$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> Teachers aren't just nice people, but. There is a valid role for jumping
up
> and down on people, if only to teach them that DBAing is not a walk in the
> park, and that they must start to think for themselves.
>
> I remember a training course where I asked 'what do you think will happen
> if...', and one of the students piped up with 'can't you just tell us?'.
> which the obvious rejoinder was 'of course I can, but one day I won't be
> there, and you'll need to think things out for yourself'. Actually, I
> wasn't quite that polite, since I can't stand intellectual laziness like
> that.
>
> Sybrand rarely just yells at newbie posters, but points out that there are
> methods and techniques for finding out the answers. That's a valid
teaching
> and mentoring exercise. He also then often includes the answer, for good
> measure.
>
> So, no, nobody can stop a newbie being lazy. But there's validity in
trying
> to get a newbie to think and act like an oldbie.
>
> Regards
> HJR
If you work as professional instructor probably in a classroom setup, you have a direct responsibility for your student's learning therefore you maybe "licensed" to be impolite if only to teach them that DBAing is not a walk in the park. You are paid to teach the class therefore it is only fair that you would be motivated to employ whatever learning methods and techniques that you deem necessary.

However in teaching somebody on a newsgroup, do you really have the same "license" to be stern or to yell (as you put it) at somebody you profess to teach? I don't think so. In as much as Sybrand does not have direct responsibility over the other poster's learning, his motivation for the way he behaves towards newbies still puzzles me.

Roel Received on Tue Oct 30 2001 - 02:42:38 CST