Re: ASP/OraOLEDB performance

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 16:58:04 GMT

You can use dedicated connections you just pool them. If you aren't using host variables then you need to. In the Oracle Application Developers guide it tells you about them. Yes, OCI is going to be faster all other things be equal. I have used Oracle's OLE objects which support connection pooling with a dedicated connection and it supports host variables. With a little more work (and since you are going to have 500 connections at once) then you could have your connections define their cursors at start up (of the web server) and don't close the cursors. Just specify new host variable values for the cursor(s) and re execute.

I think we have a mix up in definition of term. MTS to me means Oracle's Multi Threaded Server. From rereading your post I think you mean Microsoft Transaction Server. Two entirely different things. Jim

"Mark Weaver" <mark_at_npsl.co.uk> wrote in message news:lPxC7.12103$a14.350640_at_news6-win.server.ntlworld.com...
> I don't know what "host variables" are, so I guess I'm not using them :-)
> In this case, I have no option but to put the object in an MTS package as
> need access to the ASP context. However, no transactions are specified
for
> the object so there should be no overhead there.
> I can't use a dedicated server connection the object is being used in an
ASP
> page, and is therefore destroyed at the end of the page.
>
> My thought was that OLEDB connection pooling was supposed to take care of
> this. Like I said, it works well enough within SQL server.
>
> I've also tried just a plain ASP page that creates OraOLEDB, opens a DB,
> runs a select* command against a table with 5 rows; looks only at the
first
> row, and uses a server side, read-only recordset. Again, performance here
> is terrible (10 pages/s). If I write the same code using the OCI, then I
> get much more like 200 pages/s.
>
> Mark
>
> "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > Are you using host variables? (probably not).
> > Do you maintain the connection or do you open it up each time you do a
> > query?
> > Try not using MTS and use a dedicated server connection.
> > Jim
> > "Mark Weaver" <mark_at_npsl.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Thus far, I have got terrible performance out of Oracle. Using Oracle
> > > 8.1.7.5, plus OraOLEDB 8.1.7.2. I can't find any later 8.1.7
patches -
> > > please let me know if I'm missing something.
> > >
> > > The scenario is:
> > >
> > > COM object implemented in VB+ADO+OraOLEDB for storing session data.
> > > ASP page requested retrieves a BLOB containing the session data (via
ADO