Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Michael G. Schneider <mgs_at_mgs-software.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 20:13:27 +0200

"Ron Reidy" <rereidy_at_indra.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3BD837B3.7EC4D68_at_indra.com...

> Being a DBA is not
> easy. Part of the job is to understand the RDBMS internals,
> configuration, etc. People who do not take the time nor make an effort
> to learn these things are doomed to the issues they face.

Sorry, I wanted to keep quiet. However, I did not succeed.

I once again have to point on somthing, which many contributors in this thread don't understand or maybe don't want to accept.

You DBAs are doing a great job. You manage terrabytes of data. And the company you work for can be sure, that it's data is in a safe place. That is one side. But there also is another side.

Oracle databases are not only sold to big companies. Oracle does not say "before we sell this database to you, you will have to do a test and prove you are capable of managing this software". This software is sold to anybody who wants it to have. And the needs of those customers and their capabilities are very different.

I already gave myself as an example. I am an independant software developer. It wouldn't be reasonable to have a DBA managing the databases, which I create for development purposes. And it also wouldn't be reasonable, if I took some weeks of education for becoming a DBA myself.

My kids go to school. The school has a database, too. I wouldn't swear, it's an Oracle database, but I think so. Do you really think, they will employ an Oracle DBA or make one of the teachers a DBA?

By creating a nice looking setup program and GUI-based administration tools, Oracle gives (at least to me) the impression, that they want to take these components seriously. But if I listen to you, I get the impression that for serious work you wouldn't use the tools anyway.

Maybe all true DBAs should unite and convice Oracle that it is better to throw all GUI based software out of the window and return to the good old command line. Then nobody would buy an Oracle database if he isn't sure that he can manage it that way.

Michael G. Schneider Received on Thu Oct 25 2001 - 13:13:27 CDT