Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Ron Reidy <rereidy_at_indra.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:02:59 -0600

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> "Serge Rielau" <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com> wrote in message
> > Hmm, may I add a comment (and I don't claim that my own favorite is any
> > better or worse)?
> > Isn't it a good goal to make reading the manual or the newsgroup as
> > unnecessary as possible? I think the goal is (and vendors including
> > Oracle and Microsoft and IBM are working on it) to make the DBMS as easy
> > to operate as childs play.
> > Be it removing the need for rollback segments, a gui for backup and
> > recovery or an install that just knows what to do without having to ask
> > questions.
> > I am willing to grant MS that they embraced the need for this long
> > before other vendors because they come from the low end, small
> > businesses.
> > The big guys Oracle and IBM better learn the lesson.
> >
> > Just my 2 cents.
> > Serge
> > --
> > Serge Rielau
> > DB2 UDB SQL Compiler Development
> > IBM Software Lab, Canada
> >

> Generations of developers and dba have done without.
> Generally speaking single-click software is inherently dangerous, as people
> don't know what they are doing. Look at the high number of people in this
> group who don't have *any* backup of *any* type. Why is that?
> Because they operate Oracle or DB2 or whatever just like they operate
> sqlserver: they never read any manual, they don't visit courses, they don't
> have a support contract.
> Only when things do go wrong they use the newsgroup as their *first* resort,
> but then it is already *way too late* because you should have prepared for
> your disk going down in the first place.
>
> Turn Oracle into 1 one button install system (what is basically already is)
> and they *still* won't manage, because their *attitude* is wrong: they have
> grown up in luxury, everything was always arranged for them, and when
> colleges and universities started to be accounted for the people actually
> succeeding, the inevitable result was that college and university became
> *more easy*.
> Unfortunately, colleges and universities in Europe think everything in the
> US is better, so they are more and more adopting the US standards, which is
> *BAD*
>
> It is all very simple: You don't expect to be capable to drive a car without
> driving lessons do you?
>
> Just my 2 cents rant
>
> Regards
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA
> Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Once again, I agree whole heartedly with Sybrand. Being a DBA is not easy. Part of the job is to understand the RDBMS internals, configuration, etc. People who do not take the time nor make an effort to learn these things are doomed to the issues they face. Those of us that answer these posts in this NG do it because we have some level of expertise we are willing to share. This is no substitute for individual investigation, study, and independent thought. The dumbing down of software (and software engineers) will not serve anyone's purpose, except corporations unwilling to pay for the expertise they need.

--
Ron Reidy
Oracle DBA