Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:02:19 -0400

Hmm, may I add a comment (and I don't claim that my own favorite is any better or worse)?
Isn't it a good goal to make reading the manual or the newsgroup as unnecessary as possible? I think the goal is (and vendors including Oracle and Microsoft and IBM are working on it) to make the DBMS as easy to operate as childs play.
Be it removing the need for rollback segments, a gui for backup and recovery or an install that just knows what to do without having to ask questions.
I am willing to grant MS that they embraced the need for this long before other vendors because they come from the low end, small businesses.
The big guys Oracle and IBM better learn the lesson.

Just my 2 cents.
Serge

--
Serge Rielau