Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Dino Hsu <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:17:52 +0800

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 08:26:18 -0500, Kirt Thomas <kremovethisspamthingthomas_at_gfsiinc.com> wrote:

>I would be the first to agree that the new java installer (at least
>with the 8.1x versions) is absolute crap. A nightmare at best.
>
>That said, I also think it's utter crap that someone requires a gui
>interface. There is nothing that can't be done from the command line
>(with the unfortunate exception of installation). In all sincereity,
>if you require a gui tool to admin the database, then you've either
>picked the wrong database, or you're company has picked the wrong dba.
>
>I'm also not a fan of OEM, it is still not reliable enough for
>mission-critical assignment and monitoring. Maybe it will get there
>sometime. I don't think there is anything running on a windows box
>that I would trust to monitor my production systems. (I use shell
>scripts, like a real dba :).
>
>But don't lump the ugly installer with the database, the db is rock
>solid. I can't imagine putting my companies data on (or in) anything
>but an Oracle database (especially just because it's easier to admin
>because it has gui tools, lol)

The java programs are truly slow and sometimes unstable (as said in one post they can go nirvana mysteriously), but web-based applicaions are gaining more strength in the market, probably these problems can get improved in later versions. As far as admin. is concerned, I would agree fully-functional command-line utilities are absolutely necessary to be integrated into shell scripts to perform real admin. tasks. However, good GUI tools can remind the DBA of all possible parameters and their values without searching around the doc too much, they are not useless in this sense.

Dino Received on Wed Oct 24 2001 - 20:17:52 CDT