Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Dino Hsu <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 11:19:25 +0800

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001 21:38:58 +0400, "andrey" <aakit_at_softhome.net> wrote:

>Why not to be at least honest?...

To extend this point of view, I would like to express my feelings of this news group so far as more "theoretical", "paradoxical", "ideological", "ego-centric" and less "practical", "democratic", "open-minded", "considerate", at least "to a minor extent". This goes against the spirit of the Internet community.

People come here for help, not for lessons or judgements, they don't have to be Oracle-prone or Oracle-knowdgeable in any way. They, as everyone of us, have dead-lines to catch up, technical problems to fight against, and heaps of knowledge to pick up; all they want is to get their jobs done in time, make money and feed their family. Please let us focus on getting the problems solved and the jobs done in the most effective and efficient manner. Therefore, I do appreciate the efforts to create FAQ site to make this news group work more effectively and efficiently.

Last, let's just be honest, as Andrey pointed out. Imagine how I felt when I spent three days trying and errors and got to confirm the buggy 8.1.7 Net8 Assistant in Windows. You might say, that is documented in metalink somewhere, you know the "somewhere" is not easy to reach in the mountains of documents, let alone those who have no access to metalink. How do I know this is a bug when I am not familiar with this function in the first place? Also names server is not a default component in the "typical" installation, and without this component you can still configure names server in Net Assistant, it just doesn't work at all, and you have to "figuer out" why by yourself. You might say, this is easy for an experienced DBA like me. Yes, this is why Oracle DBA is valuable. However, don't you see that Oracle is trying to make their products "easier-to-use" while Microsoft is trying to make theirs more powerful? Oracle DBA might not garantee your technical competitiveness forever. After all, we are not doing Oracle for the sake of Oracle alone, we are doing Oracle for OLTP, ERP, SCM, CRM, EC, EIP, OLAP, reporting and querying, data warehousing, data mining, workflow, etc... each of them requires a lot of knowledge to get the jobs done.

I feel sorry if the above statments hurt anyone's feelings, but I would rather be honest, as told by my grandpa.

Dino Received on Sat Oct 20 2001 - 22:19:25 CDT