Re: Memory in Windows---is 256Mb RAM enough for Win2k?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:52:37 +0100

"Wombat" <@.> wrote in message news:9qoppa$4t4$1_at_hermes.shef.ac.uk...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/instsql/in_
> overview_74vn.asp
>
> They recommend 32 to 128Mb RAM.

Um not exactly. What this page states is that the MINIMUM requirement for SQL Server is 64MB of RAM and for enterprise edition the recommendation is 128MB (or more).

This is NOT a recommendation as to what configuration to buy. It is a statement of minimum requirements.

I conclude from the page that SQL Server 2000 *can* be installed on a single processor p166 with 64mb ram and a 500mb disk. This does not mean that this is a good idea. I suggest that you either ask the sql server newsgroup or your University's IT dept what spec they recommend for sql server 2000. Whilst spec always depends on the application I'd be very suprised if production servers started at less than 1gb ram.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA