DB Recovery Question

From: Steve Guilford <sguil4d_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 21:54:06 GMT

So, a new client of mine experienced a hard-drive crash some months ago and lost their database. All they have is a few backup sets created through RMAN and OEM prior to the hard-drive going belly-up. No RMAN catalog, control files, redo-logs or datafiles.

I've been contracted to restore the DB if at all possible. I have a copy of the most recent backup set and a v8.1.6 database installation (they're running 8.1.6). I've managed to extract the control file from the backup set and gotten past the password file problem so the instance will start the DB can be mounted. Now I need to recover the datafiles.

My question is, is this even do-able ? Can one recover a DB when all they have is a backup set ?

Thanks to all.

Steve Guilford
MingleWood Data Systems, LLC.
http://www.minglewooddata.com Received on Thu Oct 18 2001 - 16:54:06 CDT