Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 22:14:38 +0200

"Michael G. Schneider" <mgs_at_mgs-software.de> wrote in message news:9qnbru$et2$04$1_at_news.t-online.com...
> "Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > "Michael G. Schneider" <mgs_at_mgs-software.de> wrote in message
> > > Because I am currently struggling installing Oracle 8.1.7
> > >
> > > MS SQL Server is installed by clicking SETUP.exe. Then it runs fine.
> Oracle
> > > is installed by clicking SETUP.exe and then correcting some errors in
> > > INI-files, searching for reports about why a certain component does
not
> work
> > > and finally giving up, just because I (a software developer) don't
have
> the
> > > time to become a DBA.
> >
> > Yes you're definitely true. And if you will try MS Access you can
> > realize that you may not even be a software developer, because with
> > handy wizard you can make your database with just a few clicks. :-)

> What do you try to say with this? I did not even mention MS Access. I did
> highlite feature for a comparison between MS SQL Server and Oracle.
>

> A piece of software can always be made easily installable. No matter how
> large or small it might be. There is no reason for "we are a big an
complex
> software, so we will also make it complex to install".
>

> > > MS SQL Server has a user interface that is consistent with the
> plattform. It
> > > is a Windows interface which behaves just like any other Windows
> programm.
> > > Oracle has a user interface which has been programmed with Java. It is
> > > terribly slow and it does not follow the usual Windows Interface
> Guidelines.
> > > For a Windows-only user this interface is hard to operate with.
> >
> > Oh, dear I'm so glad that Oracle interface "does not follow the usual
> > Windows Interface Guidelines", because that interface could look on my
> > HP-UX or Solaris boxes rather clumsy, especially at a text-based
> > console. :-)
>

> A program running on Microsoft Windows should look and feel like a Windows
> programm. If you don't like Windows - no problem. Just don't install
Oracle
> on it.
>

> Michael G. Schneider

OK,
If you don't like Oracle, why not stick to sqlserver, and continue to use non-scalable software.
Many people can install Oracle without problems. That you can't doesn't prove Oracle is a bad product.
How many programs,do you think, there are, that run on Windows, and do NOT strictly follow the Windows 'standards'? Did you ever seriously tried to inform yourself how Microsoft came to power? Do you think Microsoft makes the best software there is? In that case you need to be deprogrammed :)

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Oct 18 2001 - 15:14:38 CDT