Re: Best size for datafiles

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:36:30 +0100

Frank Hubeny wrote:

> I am able to create 32 gigabyte files on Solaris 7. The idea that one
> cannot go beyond 2 gigabytes is obsolete and a needless restriction on
> tablespace design.
>
> Some might claim that a particular file size out-performs another. I
> have listened to enough pseudo-performance results to come to the
> conclusion that unless such claims are backed by sound statistical
> analysis (means, standard deviations, hypothesis testing), I reject them
> out-of-hand as hearsay.
>
> Frank Hubeny
>
> Considering that disk drives are now availabe at over 160 gigabytes
>
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>
> >"Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>willjamu_at_mindspring.com (James A. Williams) wrote in message

> ><snip>
> >
> >>I do not thing that 1000MB or even 500 MB is a good datafile size for
> >>0.5 TB data warehouse. Maybe you should consider larger datafiles,
> >>because 500 (1000) data_files would be a nightmare to administer.
> >>You can have 5000MB data files (100 of them),
> >>

> >Does Solaris support 5gb data files?
> >

> >--
> >Niall Litchfield
> >Oracle DBA
> >Audit Commission UK

No - but it takes a while to move a 32G file. With a 2G file, I can pretty much move it without the end users even knowing - which helps when load balancing et al.

Also Oracle has had some dramas in the past with file above 2G, and similarly Solaris used to have a problem running async IO with files over 2G. All of these may now be resolved, but I'd rather not take the risk if there are no problems with 2G anyway.

My 2c worth.

connor

--
Connor McDonald