Re: Best size for datafiles

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:46:09 +1000

Remembering that the data file is the smallest unit of backup (and restore until 9i), then 5Gb files sound like a dreadful idea, though with the right hardware I can imagine it working.

The balance is: the more files, the more opportunity for I/O distribution around different devices, and the more flexibility and ease you have in a backup strategy. But also, the more files, the longer checkpoints take.

Given that I take the risk of Instance failure to be low-ish, I tend to recommend huge log files that never switch, thus minimising the number of checkpoints. And given few checkpoints, I can't see what possible nightmares there can be with multiple smaller data files, instead of fewer humungous ones.

Go on: enlighten me!

Regards
HJR

--