Re: Memory in Windows---is 256Mb RAM enough for Win2k?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 17:01:47 +0100

"Mike" <nospam_at_nospam.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:9qk7dg$9s6$1_at_news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
> I don't like your suggestion for Java, as Java is exactly what I DO want
> this machine for. There is so little RAM available to Java after
Orab^hcle
> has finished that it will barely run.

Ah but is that java *in* the database, or external java which talks *to* the database. Only allocate memory to the Oracle JVM if you are using it.

> As for the extra RAM, I agree entirely. However, my superiors are arguing
> that in deployment that 256 is sufficient. I don't think it is.
>
> Mike

I wouldn't consider a database SERVER, i.e a production machine to service multiple users, with anything less than 1gb of RAM, and to be honest all of ours now have at least 4gb. It would also have to be a multi processor machine with a raid controller at the very least.

Rule of thumb is that the SGA should be sized so that it takes up not more than 1/3rd to 1/2 of physical RAM. on that basis a 256mb machine would get no more than 128mb sga. if you are running the os and java on top of that you will rapidly start swapping either the app or the database. this is bad news. You might consider implementing your app on a second seperate server, but somehow if the cost of 256mb ram is too much for the powers that be I can't see this suggestion gaining favour.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA