Re: Memory in Windows---is 256Mb RAM enough for Win2k?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:14:31 +0100

You ceratinly can use Oracle in win2k with 256mb ram, and get reasonable response from the demo database.

If the machine is a personal workstation then I'd suggest that you want to do the following

  1. Oracle database service and oracle listener set to MANUAL startup.
  2. check the init.ora parameters for your database. You probably don't want a 20mb java pool, or a particularly large shared pool 1 or 2mb will be plenty. keep the buffer pool down to a reasonable size , say 30m or so.
  3. don't run dba studio or oem. learn how to use sql*plus/svrmgr

If you connect as sysdba then you can issue the command show sga which will tell you how the memory allocation is made up.

In addition you could always invest 20 quid or so in another 256mb of ram. This has two advantages.

  1. Oracle will be happier - as would sql server or any other RDBMS
  2. Baldurs Gate loads much faster and you can justify the expense to your partner as 'work-related'
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA