Re: Unknown lock type TC

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:31:39 +0100

Are you using Parallel Query - if you do a search on metalink for "TC" and "enqueue" you will find a forum thread that discusses the TC enqueue.

I infer from reading it that this is the 8i equivalent (or manifestation) of the 'extent-based checkpoint' that used to take place in 7.3 when a parallel query slave was about to start using direct reads.

It is a little-known fact that when a PX process is using direct reads, it has to flush all dirty blocks in the read range from the buffer to disc.

If this is your problem, then you may ease the problem by taking actions to increase the speed with which the database writers can get data down to disc. Alternatively you might review your application to check whether there is a constantly changing data set that is begin hit unnecessarily by PX slaves, and change the application accordingly.

NOTE - although TC enqueues may have high visibility, don't chase the issue too hard unless you are showing a lot of wasted time on waits for 'enqueue' - and do use v$session_event to identify the sessions suffering most.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:

Screen saver or Life saver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.