Re: Getting Initialization and shutdown in progress error msg while connecting with sqlplus

From: Cong Tang <Cong.Tang_at_ctbto.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:25:44 +0200

Hello,

Losing an online redo log group could be a big problem. You may want to try the following:

  1. Backup the damaged database (in case you want to rollback your recovery operations when things go wrong).
  2. Check the status of data files and missing logs
SVRMGR> connect / as sysdba
SVRMGR> startup mount;
SVRMGR> select * from v$recover_file;
SVRMGR> select lf.member, lg.group#, lg.archived, lg.status
                  from v$logfile lf, v$log lg
                  where lf.group#=lg.group#
                  order by 1,2;

3. Initialize (recreate) the missing redo log group

If the missing redo log group has been archived (see the results of the above query), initialize it using the command:

ALTER DATABASE CLEAR LOGFILE GROUP 1; If the missing redo log group has not been archived, initialize it using the command:

ALTER DATABASE CLEAR UNARCHIVED LOGFILE GROUP 1; If this is successful, you can open the database. If not, you need to perform an incomplete recovery (if database mode=ARCHIVELOG) or restore the database from a cold backup (if database mode=NOARCHIVELOG).

Hope this will help.

Cong