Abnormal long export/import - network problem?

From: Marc Blum <marc_at_marcblum.de>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:31:52 GMT

Hi,
consider following situation:

Server A:
one year old IBM Netfinity with double Pentium III, 800MHz and 1 GB RAM
SuSE Linux 7.0
Oracle EE 8.1.6

Server B:
three years old selfbuild PC with one 450 MHz Pentium and 512MB RAM NT 4, SP5
Oracle EE 8.1.7

Network:
100 Mbit Ethernet, TCP/IP

Client:
ordinary PC
NT 4, SP5
Oracle Clients from 8.0.6 to 8.1.7

On server A and B several developement databases running, all as identical as possible.When I perform an export against a say 20MB table, server B takes several seconds, server A takes several minutes. When I spool the contents of the table via SQL+/termout off, both take only seconds.

When monitoring sessionwaits, server A shows exorbitant counts for "SQL*Net/ message from client", which is typical for "client does nothing".

Where may I look for problems? Any hints? Is it a network problem? regards
Marc Blum
mailto:marc_at_marcblum.de
http://www.marcblum.de Received on Tue Oct 16 2001 - 15:31:52 CDT