Re: "Fast" Query of Multiple Columns?

From: TurkBear <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:20:30 -0500

Try this:
create a table ( say, new_loc_table, with 2 columns old_loc and new_loc ) from the flat file... modify the old_loc_table by adding a field called actual_old_loc update the old_loc_table and set actual_old_loc = ltrim(rtrim(col1||col2||to_char(col3))) [Note: if col3 ( the fp number ) has a decimal point in it the to_char function may need a format model] Index actual_old_loc in old_loc_table
This should give you 1 field that has the old locator..The rest is easy.. update old_loc_table set new_loc_field = (select new_loc from new_loc_table where old_loc = actual_old_loc)

hth,