"Fast" Query of Multiple Columns?

From: Peter Stryjewski <pstryjew_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 19:21:53 GMT

Hello All,

I'm looking for the fastest method of querying multiple columns in a database and populating a new column.

What I have:
Flat file of old locator number and new locator number Table with "old" locator number in any one of 3 columns(two are strings on is a fp number type). All are indexes. Table is 40Million+ Rows

What I need:
For each "old" locator number, query the table (all three columns) and insert "new" locator into empty column.

Question:
What is the best way to do this?
Create another table of old to new, and use that to query? Single query using OR?
Multiple passes, one for each column?
Some slick PL/SQL that I don't know about?

Thanks,

Pete Stryjewski Received on Tue Oct 16 2001 - 14:21:53 CDT