Re: Oracle equivalent to SQL Server's xp_cmdshell?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 17:08:19 +0200

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:184840::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F
> 4950_P8_B:150612348067,Y
>
> However, it doesn't appear as if the results from the execution are
returned
> to the calling procedure. But I suppose this is a start. I wish Oracle
had
> better native support for this type of thing...
>
> Thanks again, Jim! :-)
>
> "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > This has been addressed a bunch of times in the ng. You can do it a
> couple
> > of ways. dbms_pipe with an external program reading the pipe and doing
> what
> > you want, use a Java stored procedure, an external program called from a
> > stored procedure. See MetalLink or Thomas Kyte's site (Ask Tom).
> > Jim
> > "John Peterson" <johnp_at_azstarnet.com> wrote in message
> > > (Oracle 8.1.7.2.1 on Windows 2000)
> > >
> > > Hello, all!
> > >
> > > I'm eager to learn if Oracle has an equivalent to SQL Server's
> xp_cmdshell
> > > extended stored procedure. The xp_cmdshell function essentially
shells
> > out
> > > to the OS and executes the provided string. One of the nice features
of
> > > xp_cmdshell is that it will return the output as rows of text and can
> thus
> > > be handled as a result set you can cursor through.
> > >
> > > I'm having a tough time figuring out how to execute an OS command from
> > > Oracle, in general. Would DBMS_PIPE be something that can be
leveraged?
> > Is
> > > there something like xp_cmdshell?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help! :-)
> > >
> > > John Peterson

. I wish Oracle had
> better native support for this type of thing...

WHY??
We're talking *databases* here, not *3GL*, not toys. Why is there also the urgent desire to turn Oracle into yet another Sqlserver?
Oracle is not Sqlserver and that is good, as Microsoft will only get out of the toy era when they have first ruined all their customers.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Sun Oct 14 2001 - 10:08:19 CDT