Re: Oracle Reinstall - Perseverance - Sybrand

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 22:56:32 +0200

"J. Fleck" <fleckj__at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9qa7em$qdn$1_at_scavenger.euro.net...
> It is weekend again. So I am trying to re-install Oracle again.
> - Oracle 8.1.7 - Enterprise Edition
> - Previously installed and running
> - Probably because of a Windows crash Oracle does not run anymore.
>
> I have tried to re-install, current situation:
> - I clean-up the registry. Basically I delete all "Oracle" keys.
> - I delete everything from my harddisk that has anything to do with
Oracle.

> I run Oracle install:
> - At the end of the the install phase(i.e. copying files) I get the
message:
> -Access denied starting <Oracle home_agent>
> - Access denied starting <Oracle data_gatherer.assistent>
> After that is it just bad news>.
>
> Question?
> - What is denying access. I am assuming (probably incorrectly) that due to
> system crash during the previous first succesful install there is a bit /
> boolean set in the Windows registry which says that an Oracle instance is
> already running. If that is the case how can I turn it off / delete it.
>
> If my assumption is incorrect. What is the correct answer ?
>
> Sorry Sybrand I put your name in the header of the post to attract your
> attention because I know that you always give expert advice.
>
> Take care
>
> Jim Fleck

Yeah it's weekend, and I have been bughunting for 5 days, where I was supposed to work 4. In the past I have been bughunting that system for 3 full months, and still new bugs show up. At that time I basically wasn't allowed to address them, because they only wanted to re-engineer a fully documented system.
Well they never fully managed, and had to decide to develop a new system. In the meantime the old system continued to run, without any bug being really addressed.
In the past 4 weeks I was simply *forced* to resolve all those bugs, because I was flooded with problems as a result of this. So, I would rather not have been faced by questions like this one and be left at piece.

Anyway I'm going to brush up my crystall ball and see whether I still have some clairvoyant capacities, because this post basically contains precious few pointers as to what is really going on.

So a few questions:
- you deleted the services before you nuked the Oracle registry key? If not that is likely one of your problems. You can delete the services by
oradim -delete -service <servicename>
Note this works for any services not Oracle's alone - The 'Access denied' thingy surely looks like a Windoze message. Is there any error in the NT errorlog?

If your answer to 1) is no, I would delete the services and scratch the instance again.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Sat Oct 13 2001 - 15:56:32 CDT