Re: Performance problems in a Oracle Portal database

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 21:16:02 +0200

"Anton Buijs" <aammbuijs_at_hetnet.nl> wrote in message news:O8JYzW0UBHA.353_at_net037s.hetnet.nl...
> Currently I am experiencing severe performance problems with a V8.1.7
> database on Sun Solaris 5.6.
> Access to the database is done by a 9iAS environment (also on Sun Solaris)
> where Oracle Portal 3.0.9 is used to run the Intranet site. With only 20
> PC's using Internet Explorer to browse the Intranet, the 2 CPU's of the
> machine are completely busy. The database has about 150 sessions running.
> MTS is configured (with 5 shared servers).
> From bstat/estat I conclude we most suffer from latch waits. By regulary
> querying V$SESSION_WAIT I know the library cache latch is the latch we
wait
> for. But mostly on 3 different adresses, meaning there is a contention on
3
> packages in the database (probably the ones that generate the HTML, like
> HTP).
>
> Does anyone has experience in tuning a database in an Oracle Portal
> environment?
> Is it capable of serving about 100 concurrent Intranet users?
> Is someone running such an environment? Or concluded it was not possible?
>
> Thanks
>
> Anton Buijs

I would start pinning those packages
(dbms_shared_pool.keep('owner.package') run as user SYS and see what happens.
Generally speaking pinning the most often used packages is a necessity because you will also stop validating them on every call.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Oct 12 2001 - 14:16:02 CDT