Performance problems in a Oracle Portal database

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:48:08 +0200

Currently I am experiencing severe performance problems with a V8.1.7 database on Sun Solaris 5.6.
Access to the database is done by a 9iAS environment (also on Sun Solaris) where Oracle Portal 3.0.9 is used to run the Intranet site. With only 20 PC's using Internet Explorer to browse the Intranet, the 2 CPU's of the machine are completely busy. The database has about 150 sessions running. MTS is configured (with 5 shared servers). From bstat/estat I conclude we most suffer from latch waits. By regulary querying V$SESSION_WAIT I know the library cache latch is the latch we wait for. But mostly on 3 different adresses, meaning there is a contention on 3 packages in the database (probably the ones that generate the HTML, like HTP). Does anyone has experience in tuning a database in an Oracle Portal environment?
Is it capable of serving about 100 concurrent Intranet users? Is someone running such an environment? Or concluded it was not possible?

Thanks

Anton Buijs Received on Fri Oct 12 2001 - 12:48:08 CDT