Re: locally managed tablespaces TEMP or RBS

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 19:10:57 +0200

"Rob Williamson" <robw_at_physics.umd.edu> wrote in message news:3BC5C199.D1B06033_at_physics.umd.edu...
> I was considering playing arround with locally managed tablespaces
> for Temp and RBS and maybe Index tablespaces in a new database I am
> designing.
> I use 8.1.5 ( no patches yet ). Does anyone have any advise/ horror
> stories or
> things to consider. My DB is small .5 G or less and I will not have too
> many transactions
> so there is no real need for a faster system but I have noticed
> fragmentation problems
> with my current Temp tablespace and thought this was Oracles latest
> cure.
> Any thoughts?
> Thanks
> Rob

As the TEMP tablespace uses the default storage clause *only* and provided you have set pctincrease for that tablespace to 0, you won't experience fragmentation with a dictionary managed tablespace. Other than less overhead for extending a segment, this is not going to buy you much.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Oct 11 2001 - 12:10:57 CDT