Re: Oracle on NT vs. Unix

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 09:31:29 +0100

"Jennifer R. Amon" <jamon_at_apk.net> wrote in message news:Pine.GSO.4.30.0110042054060.11617-100000_at_junior.apk.net...
> Our environment:
>
> Multiple applications, multiple DB instances, multiple
> environments (DEV, QA, Production), intranet, extranet
> and internet, mostly backends to web sites, including
> a commercial site with an online storefront. The
> databases are not huge, like our data warehouse, but
> aren't tiny either. They support our online product
> catalogs, etc. Hundreds of users, but with by far the
> majority of access to the DB's being read-only access
> for dynamic construction of web pages. I'd guess that
> approximately 80% of the activity (currently) is read-
> only. I expect that to change drastically in the near
> future.

I'd probably then answer dependent on what web technologies you are using. If the site is built on IIS,COM+,MTS etc then it probably makes sense to keep an all MS server infrastructure. If you are doing this all using J2EE, Corba etc then why not stick with*ix.

> You can assume that the DBA's can adequately
> deal with either OS.

Ah but which do they prefer/have most experience in. I've seen a lot of Unix folk (and some netware - remember that) folk come unstuck with windows, and even more windows folk come unstuck with Unices. In most cases they can do day to day stuff, but when somethingreally goes wriong it helps to be intimately aware of the OS, or even better palm off the problem - sorry that should read cooperate professionally with - a skilled sysadmin for that OS.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA