Large temp tablespace

From: Mo <ranamo_at_bellatlantic.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 01:50:17 GMT

Using Oracle 8.1.7

We have a database around 6 gig in size (the main tablespace) and using OEM I see that the Temporary tablespace is around 5 gig even when no one is runing any query.
I have the impression that a temporary tablespace will deallocate segment when not used and
it will only be used when Sort_area_size is not large enough to hold query result.

is that large Temporary tablespace is no problem?? and how to fix it if it is a problem?

We have the Sort_area_size = 65k, is that sound small for application that uses SQL heavily
our server is 1 CPU, 512M RAM, NT4.

I have a question about Caching tables and Hints, I guess I'll ask later.

Thanks
Mo Received on Tue Oct 02 2001 - 20:50:17 CDT